Stop or Transfer Service

You may log into your self-service portal account to submit a Cancel or Transfer Services Request. (If you are not already registered, you will need to register for a web portal account.) Once you are logged in, click the Cancel Service or Transfer tab on the left-hand side of the screen and complete the request. 

If you have not received a response in 1 to 2 business days, please contact our customer service department at 318-673-5510.