You can conserve water in your kitchen without sacrificing taste and cleanliness.
Water-Saving Tips in the Kitchen
- Automatic dishwashers claim the most water in kitchens - about 12 gallons per run. Make sure the washer is fully loaded before you turn it on.
- Don't rinse the dishes in the sink before you put them in the dishwasher. Scrape them clean and let the machine do the rest.
- If you wash dishes by hand, don't leave the water running for rinsing.
- Don't let the faucet run while you clean vegetables; Just rinse them in a stopped sink or a pan of clean water.
- Keep a bottle or pitcher of drinking water in the refrigerator. Running tap water to cool it off for drinking water is wasteful.
Visit the Environmental Protection Agency's Start Saving page for more information.