The State of Louisiana and the City of Shreveport now require certain industrial facilities that have Storm Water Associated With industrial activity to be covered by a permit.
The rules that define who needs a permit can be found at Title 33 Section 3241. B. 14. a-k. of the Louisiana Administrative Code.
The rules may appear somewhat complex and confusing; however, the list below is a simplified guide to assist you to determine if your facility needs a permit. The list uses "SIC" codes to determine if you may need a stormwater permit. If you do not know your facility's SIC code, the Standard Industrial Classification Index from the U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety & Health Administration can help you. Or, just call us at 673-6583 we'll be glad to assist.
- 1011 through 1499: Mining and mineral extraction
- 2011 through 3999: Manufacturing
- 4011 through 4581: Transportation
- If the facility has vehicle maintenance shops, equipment cleaning operations, fueling, or airport de-icing operations.
- 5015: Automobile junkyards
- 5093: Metal scrap yards
- 5171: Petroleum bulk stations
Additionally, the following types of facilities are required to have stormwater permits:
- Hazardous waste treatment, storage, or disposal facilities.
- Landfills, land application sites, and open dumps.
- Steam electric power generating facilities, including coal handling sites.