What should I do if I see a sewer overflow?

Immediately call the City’s Department of Water and Sewerage at 318-673-7600. Staff will be deployed to investigate, clean, take samples, and work with the State’s Department of Environmental Quality to report and monitor the spill.

You should also take these precautions:

  • Keep people away from the area of the overflow (typically a manhole). This is especially important for children and pets who may play near the overflow area (e.g., street, public park, or local streams, creeks, and rivers).
  • Do not go near or touch the overflow. However, if you do happen to come in contact with the sewage overflow, wash your hands thoroughly in warm, soapy water before handling food or touching other persons or surfaces.

Show All Answers

1. What is the City doing with the Clean Water Shreveport project?
2. Why is the Clean Water Shreveport Project needed?
3. What is a Consent Decree?
4. What do Federal and State regulators require?
5. How much will these improvements cost?
6. What is a sanitary sewer?
7. What is an SSO?
8. Why do sewers overflow?
9. Are SSOs harmful?
10. How is Shreveport planning to eliminate SSOs?
11. What should I do if I see a sewer overflow?
12. What can I do to help prevent SSOs?
13. What is a private sewer line?
14. Does the City repair private sewer lines?
15. What is the best way to maintain private sewer lines?
16. How will my neighborhood be affected by this work?
17. What if I have questions not answered here?